The most awesome facility at your disposal during a stay at Ace Hideaways is your natural surrounding. We are nestled into a woodland high above the River Findhorn in which all manner of nature – from birds to deer and even red squirrels – has made its home. As such we are in a very rural location and other facilities tend to the eco-minded and functional: even our loos are wood-clad waterless ones designed to blend into the landscape.
Camping Facilities – The Lowdown:
- Drinking Water is from our own private supply taken from the (council-tested) tap at the base to your tent or hut. The distance depends on which spot you’ve chosen to sleep at.
- There are flushing loos by reception for all to use.
- Showers are low-key in natural wavy-wood structures but with instant gas water heaters so you should always be able to have a toasty woodland shower.
- The Outdoor Camp Kitchen has huge table and log stools (made from a single tree that had fallen beside the river just below Ace), sink and two-ring gas camp cooker for all campers to share and enjoy. Each shepherd’s hut has its own gas ring stove.
- Camp Fires are Welcome! Each bell tent and shepherd’s hut has a log burning stove inside to keep you toasty all night and its own designated fire pit outside. There are two communal fire pits near the camp kitchen so everyone at Ace can enjoy a proper camp fire. A sack of excellent quality, locally-sourced, seasoned hardwood logs with kindling and newspaper can be bought from reception.
- Ace Reception Shop has some basic supplies such as drinks, chocolate bars and camp essentials.
What to Bring:
- walking shoes/boots/old trainers/wellies
- waterproof coat
- warm clothes
- cool clothes (shorts?!)
- swimming stuff & towel
- change of clothes
- simple, non-perishable food
- water bottle
- midge repellent
- matches/lighter if you’d like to make a fire
- Walking: right from the doorstep there are really beautiful woodland and river-gorge walks where you may well not meet another soul
- Whitewater rafting, tubing, canoeing, kayaking, canyoning and cliff jumping: for individuals, families, friends or groups, right here on the River Findhorn with Ace Adventures
- Team-building: tailored for schools, corporates or other groups with Ace Adventures, here at Auchnagairn
- Paintballing: hidden away in the woods below Auchnagairn, with Ace Adventures
- Disc Golf: our own woodland course with Ace Adventures, here at Auchnagairn
- Fly Fishing (salmon & grilse) here on the Findhorn with Logie Estate
- Shopping for unique crafts, books, art, foods, plants and gifts, eating, whisky tasting, garden-viewing and occasional courses at nearby Logie Steading