The most awesome facility at your disposal during a stay at Ace Hideaways is your natural surrounding. We are nestled into a woodland high above the River Findhorn in which all manner of nature – from birds to deer and even red squirrels – has made its home. As such we are in a very rural location and other facilities tend to the eco-minded and functional: even our loos are wood-clad waterless ones designed to blend into the landscape.
Camping Facilities – The Lowdown:
- Drinking Water is from our own private supply taken from the (council-tested) tap at the base to your tent or hut. The distance depends on which spot you’ve chosen to sleep at.
- Loos are woodland composters. These are remarkably comfortable, fuss and smell-free to use. Just use like a normal loo (though both girls & guys must sit down as they remain smell-free by use of a liquids and solids separater and never the twain must meet!). There is a loo tucked away in the woods shared by the two shepherd’s huts and two further loos and a urinal at the base for the use of all bell-tent and own-tent campers.
- Showers are low-key in natural wavy-wood structures but with instant gas water heaters so you should always be able to have a toasty woodland shower. There is a shower tucked away in the woods for the two shepherd’s huts to share and two further showers in the centre of the woodland campsite beside the camp kitchen.
- The Outdoor Camp Kitchen has two communal fire pits, huge table and log stools (made from a single tree that had fallen beside the river just below Ace), sink and two-ring gas camp cooker for all campers to share and enjoy. The shepherd’s hut has its own gas ring stove inside the hut and fire pit outside.
- Ace Reception Shop has some basic supplies such as drinks, chocolate bars and camp essentials.
What to Bring:
- walking shoes/boots/old trainers/wellies
- waterproof coat
- warm clothes
- cool clothes (shorts?!)
- swimming stuff & towel
- change of clothes
- simple, non-perishable food
- water bottle
- midge repellent
- matches/lighter if you’d like to make a fire
- Walking: right from the doorstep there are really beautiful woodland and river-gorge walks where you may well not meet another soul
- Whitewater rafting, tubing, canoeing, kayaking, canyoning and cliff jumping: for individuals, families, friends or groups, right here on the River Findhorn with Ace Adventures
- Team-building: tailored for schools, corporates or other groups with Ace Adventures, here at Auchnagairn
- Paintballing: hidden away in the woods below Auchnagairn, with Ace Adventures
- Disc Golf: our own woodland course with Ace Adventures, here at Auchnagairn
- Fly Fishing (salmon & grilse) here on the Findhorn with Logie Estate
- Shopping for unique crafts, books, art, foods, plants and gifts, eating, whisky tasting, garden-viewing and occasional courses at nearby Logie Steading